Boroughs & Burbs #52 || The Martha’s Vineyard Show
By John Engel
The Martha’s Vineyard Show
Martha’s Vineyard has a reputation for being a popular and affluent summer community with fabulous beaches and authentic New England charm. Who is coming to Martha’s Vineyard, and why? And how has that changed? As New York area realtors we want to know why Martha’s Vineyard is not like other affluent beachy communities like the Hamptons or its island neighbors Nantucket and Block Island.
– Martha’s Vineyard is 96 square miles, compared to 70 in East Hampton (including east to Montauk). Block Island is only 9.7 square miles (and 40% of that is protected land conservation.) Nantucket island is 47 square miles.
– 17,000 people call the Vineyard home, but the populations swells to 200,000 in-season. Compare that to 28,000 in East Hampton, and 14,000 in Nantucket swelling to 50,000.
– the median listing on Nantucket is $3.9 million, and so much more affordable on the Vineyard at only $1.9 million in Edgartown and $1.3 million in Vineyard Haven. In East Hampton the median listing is $2.3 million.
– in 1974 Steven Spielberg filmed the movie Jaws on Martha’s Vineyard and the island now celebrates with an annual “Jawsfest”
– there are 19 beaches on the island. What percentage of them are public versus private?
- President Bill Clinton, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton have been coming to Martha’s Vineyard since the 1990’s.
– President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama used to vacation here at Blue Heron Farm and decided to settle here permanently when they purchased 30 acres in 2019.Who are the people who come for the summer, and what do they find there in summer?
How does the community change in the off-season?
How has the pandemic changed the community, and what is predicted?
Tell us about the luxury and exclusive neighborhoods of Martha’s Vineyard, and do they attract anyone besides ex-Presidents?
Britt has been a Real Estate Professional since 2010 and was thoroughly prepared for a career in the Real Estate Industry, having a mother who was a Realtor and a Father who was a residential Home Builder, giving her a well-rounded and extensive pool of experience to pull from within her own family.
With a prior Sales background and a thriving Home Staging Business, Britt felt it was a natural decision to build a career in this industry. “I believe having a competitive edge is key in the Real Estate Community today. When listing your home for sale, I can offer this complimentary Home Staging service to you, allowing your listing to stand out from the others”.
Britt is native to Fairfield County, CT and splits her time between there and her office in Edgartown, Martha’s Vineyard.
Cheri is a Connecticut native that came to the Island of Martha’s Vineyard permanently in 2008. Her corporate sales career started in the mobile computing industry working with Fortune 500 companies throughout the East Coast. Her relationship skills, professionalism and sales ability brought her to LandVest to pursue real estate with the Island’s most reputable firm. The Martha’s Vineyard office specializes in the sale and rental of the islands most distinctive properties. Cheri’s focus is island-wide. Her interaction with families, couples and single professionals looking to make the Vineyard their 2nd home is quite rewarding. She has a professional, yet personal approach to business and provides consistent service and attention to detail for stress-free transactions.
John Engel – John Engel can be found at http://www.JohnEngel.com. He is a consistently top-producing agent in Fairfield County, Connecticut. John recently won the Realtor of the Year Award in New Canaan where he is has been Chairman of the Town Council and is currently a member of the Planning & Zoning Commission. John also brings an insight into internet-based marketing that is unsurpassed. Before going into real estate he was the founder of two successful internet businesses, Paper.com and e-Media for which he won the prestigious Entrepreneur of the Year Award. John spent his earliest years in Stuyvesant Town in lower Manhattan and went to New Canaan High School before attending Davidson College in North Carolina. After graduating, he served as an officer in the U.S. Army and spent some time leading a military intelligence platoon on the front lines of the first Gulf War. He currently lives in New Canaan with his wife Melissa and four children. In addition to hosting this podcast on the market each week, John Engel produces an easy-to-understand and in-depth monthly market analysis called the Market Report for the 16 towns of lower Fairfield County.
Roberto Cabrera – Roberto can be found at http://www.RobertoCabrera.com. With 20 years of experience, I have been recognized throughout the industry for achieving outstanding results: Ranked nationally by REAL Trends as one of “America’s Best Real Estate Agents” for avg. sales price of $4.350M. Sold a single family Townhouse faster than any other on the Upper West Side over $10M. I live with my wife and daughter on the Upper West Side, the neighborhood I have called home for the past 23 years. I was originally born in Richmond, Virginia and grew up in Maryland, just one mile south of the Mason Dixon line. After graduating with a degree in Mathematical Economics from Hampden-Sydney College, the 10th oldest school in the country, I spent 5 years in Washington, DC working as a financial consultant. I also studied at The National Conservatory of Dramatic Arts and I’m a former actor who once moonlighted as a stand-up comedian. Many years ago, I authored APPLE PIE – The Real Ingredients for Buying and Selling Your Slice.